Sunday 15 February 2015

Using what you know and learning more..

My textile group, Spectrum has been given a new them for 2015. I was ready for a new focus, and more than ready to leave wrought iron behind me. Gina gave us the prompt "The Gothic Mind" with the task of exploring a different aspect of the Gothic every month, starting with architecture. 
I had a new good quality sketch book that I had got covered with moulding paste while at my Hilary Beatty workshop and also had stencilled some past onto a few pages that were rather uninspiring at the moment. So I turned the book back to front and collected a lot of Gothic images from the medieval to the modern Goth movement and created a collage for the cover hiding the unsightly splodges.



 Like a lot of people I had a vague idea about about Gothic architecture.  Mine started with a school trip after our O Levels when we were given a talk by a vicar about his church and he showed us the difference between Norman and Gothic arches. (Norman arches are round like a penny, think of Norman Wisdom - wisdom of saving pennies - and Gothic arches were pointed like praying hands) I don't know why this stuck in my head, but it did. I think this was the first time I found history interesting, but that's another story.

I tried some italic writing, only with a felt tip, which I also enjoyed at school, combined with some images from the good old internet, The photograph is of Cromer church which I took a few years back.
 I created the pages using the techniques I learned from the Kemshall's Creative sketchbook course...

 … cutout windows and altering photographs...


 Then I collaged with some of the papers I created with Hilary Beattie.


I thought I'd try some printing and stencilling paper and fabric. Mungo thought he'd help with pressing my fabric pile.


Next I'm going to over-dye the papers and fabric with procion dyes. 

We were prettying worn out after all that work! Mungo likes sleeping on my lap for a while, as long as I have my crochet blanket on there first.

Must stop now and try a bit of dyeing. Have a good week.

7 comments:

Linda Vincent said...

Jill, you are so creative....I love all these pages and the cover is fabulous. So glad to see Mungo is helping you as well. Angel is currently sitting on my hand as I try to move the mouse...I think its called attention-seeking ;-)

Gina said...

Fantastic work Jill. I think you have given us all a lot to live up to!

LAC EMP 2020 said...

What a huge topic to explore Jill. So much architecture and ornament to inspire with the Gothic revival. Gina certainly gave you something to get your teeth into.Your sketchbook looks like it has already launched you into some fascinating ideas and directions. Can't wait to see how you choose to dye the fabrics and then see what you will do with them. Good to see the old creative juices running at full steam again. Have fun with it! PS Love that learning thing with Norman Wisdom etc. I think that might stick in my head too now.

Anna said...

Wow, super pages, you were obviously in full creative flow!!
Cats are a great 'help' aren't they!

Maggi said...

So nice to be able to follow your thought processes and your experiments. That's a first class studio assistant you have.

Amelia said...

Looks very inspiring :) and oh my, I really do think I need a cat! :) x

Emma said...

What a great sketchbook, as Maggi says,so interesting to follow the process. I love the way you combine inspiration from different sources too, it all comes together.